Tuesday, 5 April 2011

If procrastination is the thief of time, then I'm its accomplice.

If you've been to school, you know the feeling.

If you've attended university, you know the feeling.

You know, the feeling?

The feeling that you'd rather be doing anything else other than that assignment. The one that you dread. The assignment that's either too boring, too dull or just too plain difficult for you to muster any sort of motivation to finish, or in some of the most desperate cases, even start it.

So what do you do?

If you're anything like me, you procrastinate like there's no tomorrow. Honestly, I'm terrible. Don't get me wrong, I love studying. I wouldn't be at university if I didn't. I love learning. However, if I really don't want to do an assignment, I will find anything else that'll waste my time and prevent me from doing it.

What's that? A terrible talk show is on TV? Sold.
What's that? Another snack break, you say? Why not?
What's that? My phone may have possibly just gone off? It'd be rude not to text/call back whoever desperately needs to contact me! Right?
What's that? A walk outside, even though its blowing a gale and pissing down with rain? I'm there!
What's that? They're giving out free toxic waste at --

Well, perhaps there are some limits to my procrastination. But not many.

Hell, even this blog post is an attempt at wasting time which could easily be spent more wisely! Is it worse that I'm fully aware of this fact, and yet I don't care?

I'll get to the assignment soon, but right now, doing absolutely anything else is infinitely more exciting.

*Image credit: Pete Joison at Blurburger and http://www.petejoison.com/

2 comments:

  1. The 'what's that?' part made me laugh :) And yes! I know the feeling. I ended up spending ages planning on going for a shower (so I couldn't do anything before, because, you know, it would just be stupid to start working if I was just going to stop, right?) ...and then I didn't actually go for ages. And then I took ages in there because it was so warm. And then once I came out I took 'a wee break' to have some lunch...even though I'd not done any work yet. Oh I know the feeling very well.

    I did read a Keats poem (stuck to the wall inside a pollypocket) in the shower though which makes me feel a bit better! But even studying for English is procrastinating at the moment....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you! :)

    Haha, you and your reading in the shower! God, at least you've probably done more than me though!

    ReplyDelete